Friday, February 20, 2009

It Was Good To Be Young - A Very Simple Poem

The smell of fried chicken wafts throughout the house. Mmmm!

Charlie nips at my heels to take him outside since I'm no louse.

Yesterday pizza, tomorrow pork chops - two meals that I really can't stand.

The washing running, the dryer done, my mom and I playing Candyland.

My siblings are busy, driving to and fro, today is house cleaning, oh no!

My job is to vacuum and dust the whole house, I give it some effort but I feel like going out.

Beef jerky is drying in the oven, one of my favorite treats, I wonder when it will be ready for all of us to eat.

Gymnastics at age six, ballet taken too, soccer at eight and and tennis at ten. But what I really became known for was tennis then.

School was not easy, counting change even more tough, but mom made sure that I couldn't get enough. The summers were for reading and writing book reports, and making me cry was our family dinner repertoire.

Being short among so many so tall, I never lost perspective of where I would fall.

The pecking order I did not like but it was what it was, and forever I am grateful for all the love there was.

My childhood was good, and at times seemed hard but these memories I now hold I simply can not disregard.

As I write this all down, it sure was fun, I am reminded of how good it was to be young.

0 comments: