Monday, July 30, 2007

It's A Rhetorical Question, Dummy!

I know that we are not the only couple in the universe who has had to give up a foster child, that has been in our care for a great amount of time.

And I know that we won't be the last.

But sometimes I wish people would be more sensitive and more caring in their words and listening skills, and even empathetic to OUR situation, than telling me that others have gone before us.

It does not help... REALLY!

I often times think I am a good judge of character in people and then something like this happens and I wonder why I had not picked up on that before now?

So, I have had to be discerning to whom and how I share my life situations. You would think that the first five times it happened to me that I would have opened my eyes to this pet peeve and learned my lesson. Hmoompf! Well, dummy me still didn't get it until after the seventh or tenth times.

I remember as a kid this very thing would happen to me and then I always, always regretted sharing my heart. But I guess I kept thinking different people would respond differently. Well, they do and not always in the way one would hope.

I guess I just am not one of those who needs to know that there are others out there who have gone through the same thing and that I just need to get over myself and the situation and get on with life. Stop complaining... But I wasn't complaining. I was asked how I was doing and I responded. But then you find that's not what the person really wanted to know. It was a rhetorical question, dummy!

I guess I still haven't learned, even as an adult. Eeesh!

I want to think that people mean well when they have decided to respond to you, but far too often I don't think people are thinking at all...

0 comments: