Monday, July 9, 2007

Just Little More Than A Month More...With You!


Today is a difficult day for me. I have yet to cry until I started writing this piece. My tears are streaming down my face and I don't know if I will be able to stop them for the rest of the day.

I feel so sad as I was faced with the realization that Mh and I have only a little more than a month left with M. While I was holding M to put him down for a nap, I just wanted to freeze that moment, as I was rocking him in the chair. I wanted him to know and keep deep the knowledge of how much Mh and I have loved him, as well as all of our families and friends. And how he will always be loved by all of us no matter where he ends up in life.

I asked Mh if I could have a jewelery piece that would contain M's birthstone so that I could keep him close to my heart forever. It will also be a conversational piece down the road should we not have any other children or others with different birthdays than of Ms.

I haven't even had time to put more than four pages of his photo album, and I wanted to be sure it was done should he have to leave us. But I also realized that there is a part of me that procrastinated on his book because I was hoping that the reality would not be just that... A reality.

I was able to contain my emotions for the most part earlier in M's life but now just the mention of his situation just makes the tears surface so quickly. It is becoming very difficult to maintain my composure more and more as the time draws near.

My heart aches daily knowing that I will not longer be the 'momma' of him nor will we be able to call him our son, or will he be a part of our 'little family'. I know that there have been many, many men and women who have fostered children for years and have had to lose one or two or more throughout their experience, but it's not until you go through this very thing that you are able to really comprehend the magnitude of such an experience.

Unfortunately, the foster system really is set up to break the hearts of foster parents. We (foster parents) are only needed for a time and then the courts make their decision based on a complex system and then the foster parents are no longer needed of their services, their homes, their hearts, their care taking. It leaves huge holes of darkness and pain for those of us who get too close.

Would we do it again? We have had to question that and at this time not really sure. Perhaps the answer at this moment would be no. But time will tell and we will have to re-evaluate our reasons and purpose for committing to the fostering system and the children subjected to it's imperfect, struggling yet needed system.

I need to stop.

The pain is too much right now...

0 comments: