Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Just Turned One!


Amongst all the emotional baggage we are carrying around at this time, the idea of having to return M to his birth dad, the August 15 court date of reunification, the little time left with M, there was a wonderful celebration. N turned One Year Old yesterday.

We had a casual celebration but never-the-less celebrated N's milestone. We were going to BBQ with his Uncle Donny and enjoy being at home but our house was just such a mess, unfortunately, that it would take more time to straighten it and clean than just go out for dinner. We had Chili's. We all enjoyed ourselves and they sang to N.

I figured this casual dinner was okay for our one-year-old since we would be having a much larger party for him this coming Saturday. It's a two-fold party, really. One to celebrate his first birthday, and secondly to celebrate his adoption into our little family. And, oh, what fun it will be to have our many friends, family and neighbors celebrating this little creature of ours.

In the past, I would have been making this party a huge event, simply because I was controlling, creative and over zealous in whatever I did. So, I have learned that I need only to provide a place, food and invite the folks who will be making up the gathering. Decorations, and the like are trivial and unnecessary in the end. So, this party will be simple in its party theme but extravagant in its celebratory nature. I'm proud of myself for making this change in my life. I know M is also glad. He doesn't have to bear the brunt of my controlling nature and the chaos that comes with putting a large scaled (more than 50 folks) party together.

We are on the road to growing our little family. We have begun with one of our own and look forward to more, hopefully.

This brings up the ache of not being able to keep M in our lives forever. He is so perfect for us, his brother N, and the rest of our friends, family and neighbors who love him dearly. It is undeniably the hardest thing I will have ever had to do so far in my life. And I do not look forward to the final hours and minutes that we will have with him, as our little M.

The birth dad shared that we would be able to keep in touch with him through the years, and even have him over at our home for sleep overs. But as time goes on, and depending the frequency of the visits, he may begin to forget who we are. As well as, it will be very hard for me to be his 'auntie' or something like that when I have been his 'momma' since day three of his life. I know there will be times/moments when I just want to scream out that I AM YOUR MOMMA!!! And YOU are MY SON!!!

But will anyone hear me? Especially little M...?

0 comments: